If you have been to the “other side” of the island, chances are you have seen an Angeles Verde vehicle driving from Mezcalito’s to Punta Sur and back looking for tourists in need of road assistance. Due to the nature of the isolation on the eastern side of the island, this free road-side service to tourists (and locals) is very important.
The Angeles Verde Patrol all of Mexico. It was very comforting to see them on our various trips across Mexico from Matamoros to Playa Del Carmen. It was reported this time last year that there were 753 “Angeles” providing this service out of 77 bases in Mexico. 415 Patrol Vehicles patrolled 210 routes across this beautiful country, pretty impressive I think.
The Angeles Verde (Green Angels) of the Ministry of Tourism, radio patrol throughout the state of Quintana Roo (250 km daily) and provide support to travelers transiting through the country roads by covering routes within hours of 8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m., 365 days a year through the speed dial number 078. The services covered are:
- Guidance and Information on destinations, attractions, and state and regional tourism services.
- Mechanical assistance and emergency radio communication.
- Assistance in case of accidents.
- Relief to the general population in case of a disaster.
In the December holiday Season, Easter vacation and in the summer, we are available 24 hrs. a day. We are located in different strategic points to provide more and better coverage in emergency assistance and tourist assistance for the visitor who is in the State. The checkpoints are located at:
- Chetumal – Bacalar 19 Km
- Tulum – Cancun Km 229.
- Cancun – Puerto Morelos 219 Km
- Check the condition of brakes, clutch, tires and vehicle suspension.
- Verify count on spare tire, jack and tool.
- Check the oil level in the engine and gearbox.
- Check electrical system and vehicle cooling
Los Angeles Verdes suggest that when you’re driving on the highway:
- Handle with care, respect the signs and avoid high speeds.
- If you are tired do not drive.
- If you consumed alcohol, do not drive.
- Use the seat belt.
- No overtaking by the curbs.
- Do not litter or discard other objects on the road.
- Try driving during daylight hours.